From the Superintendent
Dear District 5 Community,
As many of you are aware, we must continue to be ever vigilant when addressing and supporting our children's needs. As parents and educators we must strive to effectively address the realities that impact our children's learning experience and spare no available energy or resource to provide a rigorous instructionally appropriate education to all young minds in our care. I ask that you continue inculcating student leadership capabilities, continue to empower our students to take accountability for their own learning and mobilize them to embark upon and never stray from the path of life long learning.
Our logo indicates our focus on collaboration: "One Village, One Community, One Voice."
As parents, community members and educator it is our mission to ensure that our children are provided with the resources that will make them competitive citizens in our global economy. I continue to ask you, our parent and community leaders to continue to nourish and lead our students and embolden them to dare to dream. Every quadrant of our society and world is profoundly shaped by our educated youth. Accordingly, it is crucial that we attach and dismantle any and all barriers that impeded their progress toward academic excellence and imperative that we rise to the challenge and provide the nurturing guidance that facilitates the attainment of the full potential to which they uniquely capable in this life. I cannot imagine a more critical calling.
The District Five School Community, inclusive of parents and staff, collaborate to ensure high academic standards are so that our students achieve excellence both academically and socially in order to be productive and industrious members in our global society.
All Community School District 5 students will be critical thinkers who demonstrate a passion and thirst for learning and believe in their own power to perform at their maximum potential in an inspiring, respectful ,challenging and engaging learning community.
- Diversity is valued, enriches the collaborative experience, and strengthens learning opportunities for all.
- Leaders have a responsibility to build the capacity of individuals and organization to learn and lead.
- High expectations and focused goal setting lead to breakthrough results.
- Professional learning strategically focused on improving instructional effectiveness and student learning produces greater academic success.
- Evaluating the quality of professional learning measures the fidelity of implementation and impact on student learning.
- Professional learning communities use shared expertise to achieve desired results.
- Collaboration results in high performing networks of professionals, including parents and community members, with collective responsibility for greater student learning and achievement.
Working Theory of Action
If the district team models instructional leadership by providing high quality feedback, professional learning opportunities/support aligned to accountability systems that inform district priorities, then principals/assistant principals will be able to strengthen their instructional leadership capacity, integrate the systematic use of data and provide high quality professional development and feedback so that teachers will be able to deepen their content knowledge, plan/implement standards aligned instruction informed by student data, as well as utilize appropriate pedagogical strategies so that students will be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills, actively participate and take ownership of their learning, resulting in improved student outcomes/achievement.
Statement on Accessibility
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Nadine Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 769-7500 ext. 2054 to request assistance.